Tax Clinic 2014

The Accounting and Finance Student's Association will soon be hosting its annual Tax Clinic. The purpose of this event is to serve low to middle income families and individuals in the Waterloo-Kitchener area, as well as university students, by helping them file free Canadian income tax returns.

Location, Date and Time:

March 14: HH2102 ("SAF Lounge", 2nd floor of Hagey Hall)
March 15-17: Student Life Centre - Multipurpose Room.
Time: 10am - 10pm

Please consult the University of Waterloo's Campus Map for the whereabouts of Hagey Hall (HH) and Student Life Centre (SLC).

Tax Clinic Campus Map PDF

Tax Clinic Campus Map (small)


Regrettably, we will not be able to prepare your return if it involves any of the following items:

Total income above the following income thresholds:

Taxpayer Status

Family Income

Single person




One adult with one child


For each additional dependant you have, add $2,500 to the maximum family income.

International Students:
International students are welcome and encouraged to file a tax return even if they don't have any income! We don't need to see your ID, but we will walk you through the process of getting an Individual Tax Number (ITN) if you're a first-time filer!

International Taxes:
We cannot prepare tax returns for other countries at this time (eg. US tax returns for students that had co-op in the US). However, if you bring your completed foreign tax return, we may be able to complete the Canadian return.

What to bring to the tax clinic:


Students (see links below):

Less Common Items:

How to Access UW Student Documents:

T4 from co-op work/summer job
Your employer will mail this to the mailing address they have on file, so be sure that they have the most up-to-date mailing address especially if you lived away from home during co-op. If you haven't received this by March 1, follow up with your employer.

T4/T4A from Waterloo (eg. Scholarships/Bursaries, TA, other University of Waterloo employment)
MyHRInfo -> Main Menu -> Self Service -> Payroll and Compensation -> View T4/T4A slips

T2202 Tuition Slip
Quest -> Finances -> Tax Receipts -> PRINT (don't choose View)
You may have taken courses at an online university or other university to replace a Waterloo course, make sure you get a T2202 from them as well (eg. Athabasca University T2202).

Charitable Donations to Endowment Fund(s)
Quest -> Finances -> Tax Receipts -> Scroll down all the way -> PRINT
All UW students contribute to endowment fund(s) as part of your student fees, unless they opt out at the start of the term. If you're unsure, then you didn't opt out!

Transit Pass Receipt
FEDs Waterloo UPASS Receipt
Bring it in! In general, if you're in first-year (specifically, if you're under 19 years of age at Dec 31, 2013) your parents can claim this amount instead (but of course, only one of you can).

Rent Receipts

You should get a letter/receipt from your landlord (or sublettor) confirming the above, in case CRA audits you in the future. Easiest way is to write the letter yourself, print it off and get them to sign it. Make sure the letter contains the above 3 items as well as your name!

Lived in Residence in 2013?
No evidence/receipt needed.
If you are a student and live in a designated Ontario university, college or private school residence, you may qualify for $25. Make sure your preparer knows!

Health/Dental Plan Premiums (medical expense)
Either call the health/dental office (phone # in link below) or visit them in person ( CONTACT INFO LINK) and ask them for a receipt/letter stating the total amount of premiums you paid for calendar year 2013. They will probably email it to you. Medical expenses may be transferable to parents depending on the situation.

Moving Expenses
If you moved, and are now 40 km closer to your new workplace or school, you may be able to deduct moving expenses against the income you earned (eg. move from studying at Waterloo -> your parents' house in Toronto for co-op). The information needed is:

  1. Use Google Maps to determine the distance between
  2. Address of both new and old residences (including postal codes)
  3. Date of move
  4. Date you started the new job/school
  5. Name and address of employer/school that you moved to work at/attend
  6. Amount of moving expenses, unless you took a train/plane, the best way is usually the 'simplified method'


This event is run by AFSA in partnership with:

Libro Credit Union is a proud sponsor of the AFSA Tax Clinic

KW4RENT is a proud sponsor of the AFSA Tax Clinic