2016 AFSA Tax Clinic Quiz
You may work individually or in pairs. If you work with a partner, please submit only one file (but make sure both of your names AND emails are in the email!). All case facts are fictional. If you are ever confused, please refer to the Powerpoint presentation
Click here to go back to all Tax Clinic 2016 material.
- Zac Hogg (SIN - 381 467 455)
- DoB: 1991-01-28
- Has a girlfriend but does not live with her (she's in Bermuda)
- This is not his first time filing his tax return. He doesn't own more than $100,000 of foreign property but he wishes he did. Please don't update the Voter's list with Elections Canada for Zac
- Mail tax return to Parents:
1005-8 Wellesley St E
- Lived in 601-201 Lester St. from September 1, 2014 - April 30, 2015. He doesn't remember the postal code, but you can probably look it up on Canada Post's website.
Paid $625/month and has rental receipts paid to landlord KW4Rent
Paid hydro approximately $25/month and has receipts from Waterloo North Hydro
Paid $200 as a key deposit, which KW4Rent illegally kept as a rent deposit (they WILL do their best to keep your key deposit as an illegal damage deposit!). Unfortunately, Zac never tried to get this money back.
Regrets living here because fire alarms keep going off in student apartment buildings in the middle of the night.
- Lived at 286 Lincoln Rd, Waterloo, ON, N2J 2P5 from May 1, 2015 to August 31, 2015 and rented from his hockey friend Sachin Manucha. Unfortunately, he never got receipts and doesn't think he'll ever be able to get it. But he does have a signed copy of his lease agreement. He paid for this lease using the free Tangerine email transfer.
- Packed his stuff into his car and moved to Toronto to work on August 31, 2015. He lived at his parent's place (address above) from September 1, 2015 to October 30, 2015 and paid them nothing. No meals and no hotel rooms were required for this trip.
- Rented a place from a sketchy man at 301-12 YONGE ST, TORONTO ON, M5E 1Z9. He paid in cash and won't get a receipt from this guy. He started living there on November 1, 2015 and still lives there now.
- His Notice of Assessment says that he has Unused tuition and education amounts from prior years - FEDERAL: $1,325.41; PROVINCIAL: $1,874.19.
- You ask if he wants to transfer tuition to his parents. He thinks really hard. Then he says no.
- From Sept 1, 2015 to Present, he works for Crowe Soberman, a CPA firm at St. Clair station in Toronto (see T4 for address!). His salary is $45,000 annually plus vacation pay, and is paid on a monthly basis.
- He has a couple thousand dollars in EQ Bank, which pays him 3% interest rate and gives him 5 free Interac e-Transfers a month. There were no fees.
- Had bus passes for the Winter 2015 and Spring 2015 terms but isn't sure where to find a receipt for these. Please help him find them and claim the receipt.
- Of course, like a real client you should include in the email 1) Refund/Balance owing, 2) estimated GST Credit they will receive, 3) estimated Ontario Trillium Benefit that they will receive. You should also provide the UFile save file and a PDF of their return and any receipts you helped him find.
- So that we can mark the submitted case files, please set the password to something secure such as 'password' without the apostrophes (').
- Allan, please add detail [sic]
Back to my main page.